Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christ-mass


Yes, note the spelling. What can I say? I love Christ! I love Christmas! I love everything about it, the music the lights, the co-opted pagan rituals and decorations, the love for your fellow man, the giving, the receiving, the food...Not so fond of not drinking during it.

This was my first Christmas without buying some good ole Pennsylvania Dutch Egg Nogg complete with the whiskey, rum, etc. in many years. Add to that the usual family get together with the conspicuous absence of the usual two or three bottles of wine. To be honest, I wasn't the only one with a problem with alcohol there yesterday, I was just the only one in Recovery. I'm actually pretty sure that it was because of the other person there wasn't any alcohol there, not me. But I am thankful for its absence.

It wasn't difficult to get through the Holy Day without drinking, it just kind of felt missing. I don't want to say lacking because it was one of the more spiritual Christmas's I've had in my 40 years. So there was great joy and thankfulness to the day and season. There's what your accustomed to, and what you do. What I did was focus on Jesus Christ and His birth and arrival on this little blue rock and what it meant to us as a world.

There are those who focus on the gifting, good will towards men, decorations, and feasting. But I think we miss something big when we don't focus on the word. Christmas, Christ-mass, Mass for Jesus Christ, the Son of Man, in celebration of the newborn King over all the world. I saw a video put out by a Christian where he change it to Jesusmas. I kind of like that.

Honestly, the guy is kind of goofy but he has done a lot of research and I've used some of the information he uses. I hope the video comes up for you. This is the first time I've tried to do this but if it works I will have learned something new.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I kind of fixed it to work, sortof. It's a work in progress, but, here it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the video and I myself LOVE Christmas but since I am trying to become more religious and know Jesus, The word Christmas didn't feel right this year. I like Jesusmas, it reminds us what the day is truly supposed to be celebrated for. Not some lie we tell our children about a fat man that squishes himself down out chimneys. We don't all have chimneys you know! Then what lie do you tell them. I say we just tell the truth.

    ReplyDelete