Saturday, January 1, 2011

Bible reading, Romans

I just finished reading the book of Romans for the first time. I know that sometimes I come across like I know this or that. Supposedly all knowledgeable about the Bible, like I've read and studied the whole thing cover to cover and taken college level courses. But I haven't. Truth be told, I'm still working my way through the book for the first time. Sure, I've picked it up before and started to read it, but I haven't ever made a concerted effort in really trying to read it and understand what He is trying to tell me. Like I've said before, I've always been a believer, but I've only recently become a follower.

That being said, I just finished reading Romans and, as with most books, it held some surprising things for me. So let's get things in perspective and set the stage. Written by the apostle Paul around A.D. 57, Paul arrived in Rome, more or less a prisoner defending himself against charges brought on him by the Jews, or more accurately, the Sanhedrin. He had traveled far and escaped several plots to kill him by the grace of God. So now he was in Rome, a place he had longed to go to be able to bring the word of Jesus to the Gentiles.

So, here he was, in Rome. The Jews there had not received any word of him but had heard about this new sect he represented and wanted to hear what he had to say. He spent 2 years in Rome, renting a house and receiving all who came to him. He preached the word to all, Jew and Gentile alike. There are a couple of chapters that spoke more to me than others, and I'm sure that others who read the book of Romans will have different things speak to them. I know that later when I'm reading it again, something else will speak to me. That is part of why it is called the living word of God. It speaks to you where you are. If a passage doesn't stick this time, that's okay. It probably isn't what God wanted you to hear today. It's also why I tend to read 2 or 3 chapters a day in the bible. I don't know what's going to stick but I can't wait to find out!

In Romans it seemed to be Chapter 12 and 14. However, I did use Chapter 13 in a facebook debate this evening, that was something else entirely. In Romans 12, Paul talks about offering ourselves up as "Living Sacrifices". Then he proceeds to spell it out for us to remove the arguments, I kind of like that. He means for us to use our gifts that God gave us in His perfect grace. I find it interesting that in this day of political correctness telling us to be ourselves, I found a writing that dates back almost 2,000 years that says If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage...etc.

Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited. How good are we at that, really. If a homeless person comes up and asks you for some change, what do you do? Shy away from them, turn away like you didn't hear them? Do you know their faith? I believe we need to assume all are Christian until the tell us otherwise. Then when we are devoted to one another in brotherly love we have to show it to everyone at first, high and low.

In this chapter, Paul quotes Proverbs 25:21,22 "If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head." Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. That is incredibly significant and contrary to how the world works today. I myself have had people that I have been so angry with that I wouldn't give them the time of day. I wouldn't give them a drink of water if they paid for it. Have you ever had someone that you said, "If I ever see them again it will be too soon!" Or even to the point of wishing harm on them.

Chapter 14 is about different levels of faith. Basically stating that if you are with someone who has less faith than you, don't look down on them. Paul compared it to eating. Someone of great faith was able to eat anything on the table that God puts there, meat, vegetables, fruits, drink. He can have it all. But someone that has less faith may only be able to eat the vegetables, but that doesn't mean we should condemn him, for God has accepted him. Who are we to judge someone else's servant? The person with less faith in him is no less God's servant than the man (or woman) with great faith that gives everything to God.

How many times have I been talking to another Christian only to realize that they are a "Sunday Christian"? How do I feel about them? It wasn't all that long ago that I was about the same. But they do have some faith or they wouldn't show up to church every Sunday for worship. What about those who don't attend church at all? Aren't we told to worship publicly as well as privately? But they have some faith. I can see very clearly why Paul would tell us this now. When we judge other people's faith, we put a stumbling block in front to them, blocking them from growing and maturing in their faith. Others may never grow any further than where they are right now, but faith the size of a mustard seed...

We are all God's servants, and if I read more, or pray more than another, it's of no consequence. Just as I shouldn't worry about the person who does more than I do, the person who gives of themselves more and serves in the church where I can't. It's not important. I'm actively working on my faith and my relationship with Jesus Christ, and that's all I can do. I help and encourage others along the way as I am told to, but I do not judge them.

I don't think it's been that serious a problem for me, but even a small problem can be big if you are the one affected by it, and this chapter stuck out for a reason. I can't wait to see what speaks to me next!

1 comment:

  1. You make several good points. It is astonishing how many people read really well and have read the Bible or whatever book so many times. But I think it only matters if you are comprehending what you are reading. Reading fast and multiple times is easy for lots of people but are they learning from it?

    ReplyDelete